How to build DIY Eichler globe pendants for $37/ea
Here’s a quick and dirty how to article for an inexpensive way to create original looking Eichler ceiling pendant globes.
1. Purchase the FADO pendant downlight from Ikea ($30):
2. Purchase a simple lamp canopy like this one ($0.95):
(These canopies are 5″ diameter and the original Eichler ones are about 4″, I looked but haven’t found one in that size.)
3. Purchase unfinished brass pipe threaded at both ends, (thread: 1/8″ IPS x 1/2″) – select desired length – our longest were 15″ but you could go a little longer for the highest ceiling points, you can cut them down and drill the end and use a pin to connect to canopy if needed (~$4.50):
5. Purchase pipe nuts: to match 1/8″ IPS thread ($0.12):
6. Purchase a can of spray paint, I used flat black, you may prefer white (~$3).
7. Dissasemble Ikea FADO lights, discard stock canopy, spray paint all the metal parts.
8. Assemble, install, and enjoy.
Total price per light approx: $37.00