I built this vertical planter for succulents using scrap materials I had laying around and mostly succulents cuttings from our yard and friends in the neighborhood.
1x3 frame using scrap wood I had laying around.
Painted frame for better rot resistance and built in some drip line for easy irrigation.
Added weed cloth layer.
Half inch hardware cloth mesh.
Frame made from cedar fence board ripped in half.
These clamps make life easier.
Filled the screw holes with putty and stained the frame.
Made a mix of soil sand and perlite for a well draining succulent mix. Important: pack the soil in as tight as you possibly can. when it is stood up it will settle and leave air pockets at the top of each chamber.
Added plastic layer to help prevent dry rot.
1/4 inch plywood backing.
Reinforcement and hanging cross bar. This thing weighs close to 200 lbs wet.
Recomment a 2x6 for the cross beam that it is hung on since it's so heavy. I ended up adding some reinforcement but didn't get a picture. I screwed a horizontal 2x6 to wall studs and put a few vertical screws in the top of it that went into oversized holes that I drilled in the bottom of the horizontal on the back of the planter so it locks together but can be lifted up to remove.
Clip holes to fit succulent stems as needed and cut weed fabric.
Use chopstick to make a hole in dirt and help push in succulent roots or stem.
Almost full. This thing is about 3'x4' so requires a lot of plants to fill it up.
Here is how it looks a few months later after the plants have had a chance to grow a bit.