Jam Filled Cream Cheese Cookies (aka Kolacky Cookies)
I have been a jam/jelly making fiend this summer. I have enough jam to last me through the winter!
I was craving some jam-type cookie so it was time to make some Kolacky.
I usually make a full batch of the dough, split it in 2 parts and keep 1 in the freezer and bake 1 sheet of cookies at a time (1/4 of the dough).
Jam filled Cream Cheese Cookies (Kolacky Cookies)
Makes approx. 8 dozen
- 1 cup butter
- 1 package of cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cup flour
Filling: 1 cup of jam/jelly/preserves microwaved for 45 seconds-1 minute
- Cream butter and cream cheese. Add sugar and vanilla and mix until mix in completely. Add flour.
- Split the dough in 2 parts, wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate for a few hours or a couple of days.
When ready to make cookies:
- Microwave your jam/jelly/preserves for 45 seconds to 1 minute then let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Roll out out dough until about 1/8 inch thick. You can use powdered sugar instead of flour to dust the rolling pin and pastry board.
- Cut into 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch squares. Move squares to an ungreased cookie sheet or cookie sheet with silpat. Add approx. 1/4-1/2 tsp of jam to the center and pinch the opposite corners together (see image above).
- Be sure to pinch the ends together, then fold over and pinch again to make sure they do not open as they bake.
- If you have pieces that are not squares you can make canoes (see picture below).
- Or you can take the scraps, roll them into large marble sizes, then press down slightly to flatten and indent with your thumbprint. Fill the imprint with jam.
Bake for 11-13 minutes depending on how thin you rolled out the dough and how crispy you like your cookies. Let cookies cool then light dust with confectioner’s sugar.