I have been making these muffins almost weekly. The family loves them and I have mot ingredients on hand. When fresh blueberries are not in season, canned blueberries will work fine.
One batch makes 12 muffins but these go fast.
Blueberry Muffins – makes 12 medium size muffins
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4-1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (use 1 cup sugar) or milk (use 3/4 cup sugar)
- 2 cups blueberries (or 1 can drained)
- 1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- 1 tsp turbinado sugar (optional)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cream sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until well mixed. Add Vanilla.
- Add half of the flour mixture to butter mixture and then add buttermilk. Mix until combined. Add the rest of the flour mixture and lemon zest (optional).
- Fold in the blueberries by hand.
- Grease 12 muffin tin and put batter in cups. If you want, sprinkle turbinado sugar on top.
- Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes.
- Once cool, remove from muffin tin and allow to cool on rack.