I just got a membership to Costco. I was going to make dinner and needed 4-5 carrots and bought a bag from Costco. It was like a 10 lb bag of carrots….so what do I do with all the extra carrots I have?
Tammy’s Carrot and Pineapple Cake
For the cake:
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 2/3 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups (take out 1 tablespoon for raisins) all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup golden raisins
- ½ cup grated coconut (optional)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 pound carrots, grated (about 4 cups or 4-5 large carrots)
- 1 can crush pineapple drained well (about 1 ½ cups)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter 2 (8-inch) round cake pans. Line with parchment paper, then butter and flour the pans.
Beat the sugar, oil, and eggs together in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light yellow. Add the vanilla. In another bowl, sift together 3 ¼ cups flour, the cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Toss the raisins and walnuts with 1-tablespoon flour. Fold in the carrots, pineapple, and coconut. Add to the batter and mix well.
Divide the batter equally between the 2 pans. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool completely in the pans set over a wire rack.